Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Good Day - understatement

THIS IS AN EMAIL I SENT OUT TO MY SCHOOL I will now tell two success stories that happened just this morning that make me proud of our kids. It was normal in my old school to share cool things that happen. If I am breaking protocol just let me know and I wont send out random emails. 1.) My computer tech students, as I've mentioned, finished up a PSA poster project. The top posters are in our hall being voted on. A student who passes my room frequently, but is not my student, is in a motorized wheelchair and has a professional aide. I'll go ahead and not mention this student's name, but I believe the student has cerebral palsy... I may be mistaken. During my first period the aid came into my room politely during instruction and got my attention. The student wanted to vote on their favorite poster. Instead of just writing it down I came out into the hall to get the proper little code number on the poster. The student showed me the poster. It was the poster that a student had drawn in my B7 period showing a representation of a person in a wheel chair with the text "It's the Person First." The poster took on more significance as a wheelchair bound student told me it was their favorite. I didn't show my reaction but said thank you for the vote, thinking we were done. I've never shared a very long conversation with this student besides saying hi. As I was turning to walk away the student said in their quiet voice, "That is pretty powerful." I turned back around. "That is pretty powerful because that is me." I got a lump in my throat and asked if I could shake their hand, which I did and I thanked them for letting me know. I've already had the opportunity to tell one computer tech class that their posters are real and that their voices really are making a difference already. Next hour I get to tell the class that has the student who made that poster. It was one of those recharging moments that I personally need sometime. 2.)Just the next class period as my computer tech students were talking about an upcoming project about bullying prevention and various media outlets as a large group, the drama students were called out to go get ready for the flex performance of Much Ado About Nothing. One student got up out of the group discussion to go get ready. I wont name names but this 9th grade male student isn't your classical POPULAR kid, never going to be a star athlete. As he got up to go one of my students started clapping for him and slowly everyone just joined in. He just stood there and smiled for a second before leaving the room. It was kind of perfect. It's a good day.

1 comment:

Julie L said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I think Utah has really awesome high schoolers. I also think your students have a pretty awesome teacher!

Blog Archive

counter