Sunday, August 12, 2012

Don't throw up don't throw up don't throw up..... don't throw up


Our church teaches that when we are righteous we are blessed.  Yes, I am blessed.  And I am thankful.  But I think we sometimes act like things are better than they are because we don't want to risk admitting that we aren't righteous enough to be truly blessed, or blessed the way our neighbors are blessed, or blessed the way that the new CEO you know is blessed, and the way that smiling happy skipping family is blessed.  To be safe there are escape clauses.  Like sometimes we are being challenged or learning a lesson, or can't understand the mysteries of God.... those who go through horrendous crappy diseases are taught they didn't sin to earn their disease, and maybe they are blessed in a million different ways.... who knows.... but I think there are a lot of us who paste on a smile and instantly say "fine" without risking thinking when someone asks us how we are doing.

Yes, I am blessed.  And I am thankful.  I'll even sing the song and make a list if you make me... but right now I'm freaked out and a little angry, and scared, and nauseated, and ..... don't get too close...  I'll act fine again by tomorrow.

I'm fine.  Thank you for asking, fine, totally fine.

The service light is on which it does after a certain number of miles... right?  Right?That's normal, right?  Don't throw up.

There's a hot burning smell..... and I have a training an hour away tomorrow....

Maybe I can buy some oil, or go to a mechanic, or buy a new car... made of gold... and hire a personal assistant to throw up for me....

".....name them one by one....."

Hello, good to see you again, oh I'm fine, how are you?

".....count your many blessings see what God has done."

Don't throw up.

3 comments:

Haley said...

Like I said on Facebook, it's nice to know that someone else isn't living in a perfect world. As far as the car, seriously, call my dad. He would be happy to look at it for you.

Julie L said...

I always enjoy your take on life. You have a way of writing that is uniquely you and uniquely hilarious! Interesting thought process. Do Not ... throw ... up. Hope it's all fixable without breaking your bank entirely.

HP said...

Calvin, you know I love you, right?! I'm sorry you are having a tough time right now, and I wish there were something I could do to help. My boat isn't floating much better than yours, except in the transportation department. If there is ever anything I can do, even if it's just a free dinner, (since Kristen was sick) let me know, and I'd be happy to do whatever I can. I'd even let you take my truck to your training meeting. Keep your chin up, after all, I'd hate to see you throw up..

Blog Archive

counter